Sometimes you just need to bury your swimmers and show them that they are able to dig further than they thought possible. By pushing them in practice it helps build confidence for all life activities... also it makes for a good nap. Here's a solid set I did with Whitefish Bay Masters group back in April.
12x25 w/fins on 40": Kick/drill/swim by 25's
- Drill of choice: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQNRt0Ix5GD5LRUCUGOFOkDBo1snRnquO
Main Set: Set up for group swim, so we all went on the same intervals.
6x75's to 125's - get in what you can on a 1:30 interval
- Pulling those
9x50 on 1:00 interval - no gear
- #1: Fast
- #2-3: Easy
6 rounds of the below w/fins on:
- 25 SPRINT on 40"
- 50 easy on 1:20
- If you have more than 1 person in your lane then gap by 10 seconds for cleaner water.
(1350 to 1650 main set)
2nd portion: Mental training - only have 6 stay for the 6-6:30 segment.
Swim either a 500 or 750
- swim it as: 100 cruise, 25 push (80% roughly)
- Goal: Stay mentally engaged, counting your laps, but more importantly, not letting your form go to crap at the end of a tiring work/training week.
Warm down: Long warm down especially if coming off the sprint set.
- 300 easy swimming, shaking things out
Get after it!